I turned 27 on the 27th in 2017. What a lovely day. 2 and 7 are my favourite numbers. I just like those numbers. I learned that 2 is the number of union and 7 is the number of perfection. What a fabulous date.
Now I am 27, I do not feel any different but I have learnt a lot in my 27 years on this earth. I look forward to learning more. I wanted to share 27 things I have learnt over the years.
I apologise in advance if any of these 27 things are clichè. However, it does not diminish the value I gleaned from them!
If you have any tips or pieces of advice you want to share, please, utilise the comment section. Share your thoughts!
1. Change is constant. Everything changes, especially people. I have learnt to accept people and their changes and go with the flow. The times I struggled most with people were times I refused to acknowledge and accept the change in people. I was so stuck on who they were, I could not fully appreciate who they now were.
2. Patience is key. I have found this to be true time and time again. I am not a patient person and I have paid for my rush numerous times. It is so vital to exercise patience. The return is immense.
3. Rigidity is unhelpful. This applies in thoughts and deed. To be happy and get the most of what life has to offer, it pays to discard being rigid.Let me give you an example. I used to have an opinion about sonething and I held on to my opinion so dearly and so steadfastly, I missed out on what could have been a life changing opportunity because of my ignorance and unwillingness to see another perspective. (I know I am being vague, lol).
4. Generalizations kill beneficial life experiences. This is related to point 3. I cookie cutter fact, opinion or thought cannot apply to a group of people. Even twins are distinctly different.I try to treat people as individuals. I will take you as you are. I will leave my prejudice and ignorance at the door. A person is not their background, race, family, culture or religion.
5. Laughter helps. Those who know me know that I am always laughing. I find the weirdest things funny. I now accept that my view of the world is different and I am happy and willing to laugh at them. I am happier for it. I encourage you to laugh. Laugh out loud. Laugh until your stomach hurts. Laugh until you can no longer breathe. Laugh until tears come out of your eyes. Laugh long and laugh loud. If I did not laugh so much, I am sure I would cry. Laugh. Laugh a lot. Life is so much brighter.
6. To thine self be true. Know and understand yourself. Be true to yourself (I cannot stress this enough). I find that everyone (yes, everyone) wants everyone else to be like them so they make suggestions, statements and comments (some even buy you books or something else) to make you more like them. There is nothing wrong with that, it is good to care. Learn from people, hear them out, test their suggestions, try it out (why not) but ultimately, to yourself, be true. When God created us individually, He did so perfectly. Yes, perfectly. With our own thoughts, desires. Our uniqueness does not come up short in certain areas. It goes on and on and on and on. So when people make suggestions about how I should be (more feminine, quieter, serious, more fashionable), whatever it may be, I take it on. Chew on it. Consider it but ultimately, I choose to be me because I know who I am and I will never be comfortable being someone else.
7. Love and believe in yourself. Again, this is related to number 6. The fact is, you have to love yourself. Love yourself intensely because when no one else loves you, what happens? When no one else believes in your dreams, what happens? I was telling my brother that I look in the mirror and tell myself how wonderful I am (I really do!) because, why not?! A few of us have found people who believe in us unequivocally and that is wonderful but many more of us are hanging on to people who will let go soon (no hard feelings). When they let go, what happens to you? Can you continue living? Will you keep on believing your life has value when it is just you? I ask myself these questions all the time because this is the life that we live. It is what it is. Please, love yourself. You are worth it. Believe in your dreams, God gave them to you. Tell yourself, you are enough!